Nose bleeds generally respond well to home treatment. The most common causes are nasal trauma, nose picking, cold and allergies, dry air, and medications.
- Humidify your room/home if you live in a dry climate, especially during dry winter months.
- Spray nasal saline into each nostril, and then gently apply petroleum jelly on the inside of your nose to lock in the moisture and prevent bleeding.
- Sit up with your head tipped slightly forward.
- Pinch the nostrils shut and hold uninterrupted pressure for 15 minutes.
- Repeat if necessary.
- Avoid blowing your nose for the next 24 hours.
Seek medical care if:
- Bleeding does not stop despite methods above
- You feel dizzy or light-headed
- You have recurrent nosebleeds